BKB Bare Knuckle Boxing announced its promotional debut in Newcastle on 10 October at the Utilita Arena.
Local lad and top heavyweight contender Big Mick Terrill faces dangerous Pole Kamil Sokolowski in the main event.
In the co-feature, reigning BKB super welterweight king Rolando Dy defends his belt against Bare Knuckle Hall of Famer Scott McHugh.
“Newcastle has always been one of the most passionate fight cities in the country, and BKB 60 is exactly the kind of card this crowd deserves,” said BKB CEO David Tetreault.
“Mick Terrill headlining at home against a live threat like Kamil Sokolowski, and Rolando Dy defending his title against Scott McHugh, gives fans two must-see fights on the same night. This is a huge night for BKB and for bare-knuckle boxing in the Northeast.”
“There’s nothing like fighting in front of my own people. Newcastle has seen me become a world champion once, in this very arena, and now I get to push closer to my world title shot once again wearing BKB colors,” said Terrill.
“Kamil’s tough and durable, but I’m going to give this crowd a knockout they’ll be talking about for years,” he said.
Former BKFC champ and top BKB contender Terrill makes his first hometown appearance since joining BKB earlier this year. Terrill debuted for BKB last month in London, stopping unknown Florian De La Motte in the first round.
He’ll face a more dangerous opponent in Sokolowski, a pro boxing veteran who won his first three bare knuckle bouts by first-round knockout before an upset defeat versus Mark O’Neill. Sokolowski was dropped early by O’Neill before the fight was stopped because of a Sokolowski cut.
Fighting out of Devon, England by way of Czestochowa, Poland, Sokolowski went the distance with familiar names like Otto Wallin, Martin Bakole, Frazer Clarke and David Price during his boxing career. His gloved boxing career was put on hold after UK Anti Doping handed down a three-year suspension after a positive drug test. Bare knuckle boxing is not regulated by UKAD. With his boxing career on hiatus, Sokolowski came to bare knuckle. A win against Terrill will surely lead him to a chance at winning his first combat sports world title.
“Mick’s the hometown favorite, but this is my chance to silence the crowd and prove I belong at the top of this division. I’m coming to win,” said Sokolowski.
Terrill (11-2, 11 KOs) will be favoued to defeat the Pole. If he’s victorious, a highly anticipated showdown with unbeaten BKB Heavyweight Champion Gustavo Trujillo looms, should the Cuban defeat O’Neill later this month in Miami.
Incredible Dy Defends Crown Against McHugh
In the co-feature, fearless Filpino Dy makes his second title defence against former titlist McHugh.
Dy scored the biggest win of his career in May when he crushed former boxing champion Paulie Malignaggi in two rounds. He returns to British soil to face OG British bareknuckler McHugh, a decorated former BKB champion with an impressive 16-5 ledger.
Not too many men can say they’ve had twenty professional bare knuckle fights but Leeds’ McHugh is one of them.
The key to the battle may lie in the geography. Dy has shown outstanding clinch striking and a close quarters scrap could mean a short night for “The Mute”
Former Boxing Champion Diaz Confirmed for BKB 60: Newcastle
Former world boxing champion Joseph “JoJo” Diaz (1-0 bare knuckle record) is also confirmed for BKB 60, as is unbeaten Adel Altamimi.
BKB 60 Tickets on Sale Monday
Tickets for BKB 60 will go on sale this coming Monday, 24 August.
Visit the BKB website for more information.
